Work with Me
If you already know what types of clients I help and the problems I help solve, you can skip right to my service and training offerings below. If not, read on for a summary.
What Do I Do?
I provide two main types of consulting services:
- Software design and UX advisory services for decision support applications, sometimes called "data products." These applications often utilize AI, machine learning, or advanced analytics behind the scenes and I often help these teams:
- Turn ideas into new, desirable information products, cloud/SAAS analytics apps, or decision support applications that can drive revenue, increase customer retention, and reduce costs
- Ensure internal algorithms / data models, analytics solutions, and custom applications produce business outcomes "in the last mile" (where humans are in the loop)
- IOT/hardware monitoring applications (i.e. turning massive amounts of hardware data/telemetry into actionable decision support for predictive maintenance, root-cause analysis, etc.)
- Training and Speaking: I help "math and stats people" apply human-centered design to data science and analytics so their work is understood, used, and creates value for internal or external customers. Some people call this the "analytics translator" skillset. Whatever you call it, the goal is to help you or your staff turn customer reactions looking like or into .
Who Do I Work With?
- In non-tech companies, I am probably working with a leader in the data science or analytics areas, or their corresponding business counterpart/sponsor.
- In software/tech companies, my clients are often founders, product management leaders, or engineering leaders with product responsibility.
What Should You Expect?
The data and analytics industry has a low success rate for technology initiatives, despite spending tons of money. If you are in tech, you probably also know that bad design can also lead to overspending on
engineering, delayed release cycles, and technical debt you may not be able to ditch very easily. However, these are just the cost-saving attributes of good design. Good design is also good business. My case studies give examples of some of these types of results I can deliver.
Design is the glue that brings data, technology, business objectives, and human needs together. I'd love to help you craft a custom enterprise data product or analytics app that becomes indispensable. You can browse my design, consulting, and training services below.
“One of the key capabilities Brian brought to the table was the ability to help us distinguish between "vanity" analytics and "actionable” analytics, so that our service’s data was always presented in a way to help users actually make better business decisions. In the end, the prospects to whom we showed Brian’s designs were wowed by the extremely clean and elegant presentation of our video analytics, and we got excellent feedback that this design was much better than the existing, highly established players in this space.
Services & Training
My consultancy specializes in design and UX strategy for custom enterprise data products which can include SAAS products or internal decision support applications (here are some case studies). Client deliverables vary with each Service Offering but may include:
- Advice (audits, advisory services, etc)
- Strategy (identifying opportunities to productize data, clarifying business and user goals, roadmaps, sprint planning, use case development, and especially problem definition and exploration)
- Process review (is your engineering process helping or hurting the delivery of good value to your users?)
- UX research (e.g. usability studies and user interviews etc.)
- Sketching and workflow diagrams (low-fidelity design)
- Visual / data visualization improvements (UI design)
We can discuss which activities are relevant to the Service Offering you're interested in during your free consultation call.
“When Brian came on board, he helped us significantly accelerate our design efforts and meet our major enterprise clients’ expectations and deadlines. We have gotten a lot of mileage out of his work, and we've received good responses from our customers. I can’t recommend him enough.
Not ready to work with me yet?
Join my mailing list or download my free Designing for Analytics Self-Assessment Guide containing nine key design strategies to make your information product, analytics SAAS, or decision support tool indispensable to customers.