I've seen it before.
You've got amazing tech, data, IP, or analytics behind your app, and probably great engineers too. However, there's something wrong with your current design, or you don't want to start another project without good UX.
Your engineers also don't want to rebuild it in 6 months.
You need a great design, and fast.
“The bottom line is that Brian brings a very high floor in terms of end results. I’ve recommended Brian to my peers because the worst possible end result they will get from him is so much higher than what most designers can provide at their best.
Let's get your product's design on track.
I can help you solve these common problems with data and analytics products:
For most of my startup clients, the design work isn’t the only thing that needs to get done. If you have a subscription-based product, SAAS, or analytics platform, then you need to figure out what customers will pay for, and that means understanding where they see the most value. We will figure out the right problems to solve, and design solutions customers will pay for.
Whether we’re doing whiteboarding together, pencil and paper prototyping, or high-fidelity visual design, I will design all the screens and states that faciliate the user experience and business goals that we’ve previously defined. Your engineers will receive extremely-detailed deliverables that don’t require tons of back-and-forth to clarify requirements, and in some cases, designs can even be provided in the form of template code (HTML/CSS, view layer, etc.). We will work fast, applying the right tools and appropriate level of fidelity based on the situation.
Beauty comes in many forms, both visual and non-visual. If your UI is hurting customer growth or your ability raise funding, I can help you design a modern, clean, attractive interface that you'll be proud to share with customers, investors, prospects, and even your competition. Most importantly, throughout the design process, I will be ensuring that the your UX and your UI both get enough attention so that your not left with a "beautiful pig."
Using my own approach to design thinking, we will define clear business objectives, stakeholders, user goals, and success criteria for the project so that the design effort is aligned with your organization’s needs, and the success of the upcoming design work can be evaluated at the end of the project.
When it comes to developing products, one of the hardest choices to make as a product owner is to focus on what to remove from a product to get to a better Minimum Valuable Product (MVP), sooner. After 15 years working with startups, I have seen all the buzz words and methodologies of doing this, whether it's Agile, Design Thinking, or Lean Startup. My focus is on helping you isolate the most important user and business problems, and getting rid of any other noise or feature distractions that are not complimenting the most important problems you need to solve.
I can design a vision for your product that isn’t based on time/engineering feasibility, or current constraints. Vision mockups become goalposts that provide focus to your team, and can often be used as a sales too as well.
Nothing can replace one-on-one interviews/evaluation sessions with prospects and clients. The wrong product can cost you $1000s in wasted development effort and time. Do you want to spend tons of time and thousands of dollars in engineering costs building out features that nobody cares about or will pay for? Every product design choice is just a hypothesis that requires validation. The best method to validate a product usually involves one-on-one customer conversations that you run a constant basis as part of your product development lifecycle. However, if you're like many startups out there, you may not have the time or budget to do this, and so the next best option is an expert UI/UX Audit from a product design professional. My UI/UX Audits come with 20 years of design experience, and will provide you with actionable recommendations to address UI and UX issues that are likely affecting customers and your bottom line. See below for details.
Most clients I work with need to eventually form an internal design practice if they want to sustain their business. I can help you screen, hire, and mentor junior designers, as well as teach your product owners and engineers to become “design thinkers” who make better decisions when a trained designer is not available. If you have internal design/UX/research staff, I can also help you develop their design and business skills and increase the value they bring to your company.
“When Brian came on board, he helped us significantly accelerate our design efforts and meet our major enterprise clients’ expectations and deadlines. We have gotten a lot of mileage out of his work, and we've received good responses from our customers. I can’t recommend him enough.
many companies design great products including:
- A startup with a small engineering team can burn $10,000/week coding up the wrong design. An informed dashboard is better for customers, and your business.
- Kick-off call to discuss the goals of your current dashboard, understand your perceived concerns, and provide me with any information to inform my audit
- I will then record a narrated video of me walking through your dashboard and explaining my concerns and suggestions
- Audit will include actionable recommendations on how to move forward from your current state
- In our follow-up call (scheduled within 1 week), we will discuss any questions you have about the audit
- Typical turn time is 1 week (rush service may be available)
- 100% money-back guarantee if you are unsatisfied
- Most of my engagements fall into this bucket. They are customized to your needs and desired outcomes.
- Get over 20 years of design expertise applied to your business and UX problems
- Get clarity on what's important to focus on to achieve your stated outcomes, and what is noise
- Heavy focus on making your data and analytics understandable, meaningful, and actionable
- For larger projects and enterprise clients, our engagement will also improve the speed and relationships between product, engineering, and any local design resources you have
- Fast. My design recommendations can factor in market pressures or other constraints, so you can balance good design with fast delivery
- Reduce engineering "waste" and time spent implementing designs that don't drive revenue or help customers achieve their goals