I've seen it before.
You've got amazing tech, data, IP, or analytics behind your app, and probably great engineers too. However, there's something wrong with your current design, or you don't want to start another project without good UX.
Your engineers also don't want to rebuild it in 6 months.
You need a great UI, and fast.
“The bottom line is that Brian brings a very high floor in terms of end results. I’ve recommended Brian to my peers because the worst possible end result they will get from him is so much higher than what most designers can provide at their best.
Let's get your product's design on track.
I can help you solve these common problems with data and analytics products:
For most of my startup clients, the design work isn’t the only thing that needs to get done. If you have a subscription-based product, SAAS, or analytics platform, then you need to figure out what customers will pay for, and that means understanding where they see the most value. We will figure out the right problems to solve, and design solutions customers will pay for.
Whether we’re doing whiteboarding together, pencil and paper prototyping, or high-fidelity visual design, I will design all the screens and states that faciliate the user experience and business goals that we’ve previously defined. Your engineers will receive extremely-detailed deliverables that don’t require tons of back-and-forth to clarify requirements, and in some cases, designs can even be provided in the form of template code (HTML/CSS, view layer, etc.). We will work fast, applying the right tools and appropriate level of fidelity based on the situation.
Beauty comes in many forms, both visual and non-visual. If your UI is hurting customer growth or your ability raise funding, I can help you design a modern, clean, attractive interface that you'll be proud to share with customers, investors, prospects, and even your competition. Most importantly, throughout the design process, I will be ensuring that the your UX and your UI both get enough attention so that your not left with a "beautiful pig."
Using my own approach to design thinking, we will define clear business objectives, stakeholders, user goals, and success criteria for the project so that the design effort is aligned with your organization’s needs, and the success of the upcoming design work can be evaluated at the end of the project.
When it comes to developing products, one of the hardest choices to make as a product owner is to focus on what to remove from a product to get to a better Minimum Valuable Product (MVP), sooner. After 15 years working with startups, I have seen all the buzz words and methodologies of doing this, whether it's Agile, Design Thinking, or Lean Startup. My focus is on helping you isolate the most important user and business problems, and getting rid of any other noise or feature distractions that are not complimenting the most important problems you need to solve.
I can design a vision for your product that isn’t based on time/engineering feasibility, or current constraints. Vision mockups become goalposts that provide focus to your team, and can often be used as a sales too as well.
Nothing can replace one-on-one interviews/evaluation sessions with prospects and clients. The wrong product can cost you $1000s in wasted development effort and time. Do you want to spend tons of time and thousands of dollars in engineering costs building out features that nobody cares about or will pay for? Every product design choice is just a hypothesis that requires validation. The best method to validate a product usually involves one-on-one customer conversations that you run a constant basis as part of your product development lifecycle. However, if you're like many startups out there, you may not have the time or budget to do this, and so the next best option is an expert UI/UX Audit from a product design professional. My UI/UX Audits come with 20 years of design experience, and will provide you with actionable recommendations to address UI and UX issues that are likely affecting customers and your bottom line. See below for details.
Most clients I work with need to eventually form an internal design practice if they want to sustain their business. I can help you screen, hire, and mentor junior designers, as well as teach your product owners and engineers to become “design thinkers” who make better decisions when a trained designer is not available. If you have internal design/UX/research staff, I can also help you develop their design and business skills and increase the value they bring to your company.
“When Brian came on board, he helped us significantly accelerate our design efforts and meet our major enterprise clients’ expectations and deadlines. We have gotten a lot of mileage out of his work, and we've received good responses from our customers. I can’t recommend him enough.
Fixed-Fee Services for Qualified Startups
With 20 years of web and software design experience, I am happy to offer startup clients a variety of fixed-fee expert reviews (design audits) and traditional design consulting services. Fixed-fee services have no contracts to negotiate, are easier to schedule, and are prepaid with check or credit card. Qualified startups are subject to my approval and typically are defined as pre-seed stage.
Design/UX Strategy Call
- You explain your business plan and product strategy to me via a 1-on-1 call. From there, I'll help you:
- Learn where your product design and strategy may be blocking the business outcomes you want
- Get specific answers to spot questions about design choices you've made (UI or UX)
- Understand if your analytics UX is on the right track to accomplish your goals
- Figure out if your business problems need a designer, and if so, what kind
- A startup with a small engineering team can burn $10,000/week. Is your team building out the right design?
- Includes the Two-Hour Intensive UX Strategy Call plus:
- A video or written audit of your current app, design-in-progress, or prototype (up to 10 core screens)
- Actionable recommendations on how to improve specific screens
- A walk-through call to discuss your audit and any questions you may have
- Typical turn time is 1 week (rush service may be available)
- 2 weeks to ask any follow-up questions about your product or the audit
- 100% money-back guarantee if you are unsatisfied
Premium UI/UX Audit
- Includes everything in the Basic UI/UX Audit plus:
- I sketch design revisions to the biggest issues uncovered in your audit. We will choose what screens/workflows to address after the audit. Sketches typically are delivered via an Invision prototype.
- Specialized attention on dashboard and visualization issues
- Typical turn time is 2 weeks (rush service may be available)
- Upgrade to this (from Basic) at any time during the audit
- 100% money-back guarantee if you are unsatisfied
Custom Design Consulting Services
I offer two types of custom services, available to all types of clients. Strategic retainers are priced monthly and traditional product design consulting work is priced based on a project that we will define together:
- Get 24/7 access to me and my 20+ years of design and business experience. Ask me any product or design question and get a response in < 24 hours.
- Receive tactical and strategic advice on design and product strategy questions
- Learn to identify and resolve product design issues that could become customer problems or engineering debt later
- Get new features out the door more rapidly and with higher quality
- Reduce your engineering costs
- Limited availability
Product Design Consulting
- Apply my 20 years of design experience to your UI and business problems
- In-depth focus on making your data and analytics actionable and meaningful for customers
- Detailed design work that combines beauty, utility, technical feasibility, and profitability
- Best choice for SAAS companies, startup MVPs, and enterprise products under time pressure
- Includes some or all of the services listed above including UX strategy, UI/interaction design, and visual design
- Limited availability
©2016 Designing for Analytics, LLC